British Council is the UK’s International Organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. It creates opportunities for people in the UK and the world at large. British Council sees it crucial to build secure, more prosperous and sustainable future for everyone. British Council is known for building trust and understanding between different countries and cultures. With this development of strong international links, people in Britain and the rest of the world stand to benefit a lot.
Job Position : Accounting Assistant
Job Type : Full Time
Qualification : OND
Experience : 1 Year
Location : Lagos
Job Field : Finance / Accounting / Auditing
Role Type: Transaction Processing
Reports to: Senior Accountant
Pay Band: 2
Duration of job: Indefinite
- To support the delivery of the financial and business processes and systems in line with corporate standards.
- The post holder will undertake specific work within Finance and contribute to improving functional efficiency.
Main Opportunities/Challenges for this Role
- The Finance function is structured along functional lines with the aim of embedding the ‘three lines of defense’ model at its heart, clearly separating the financial control (first line) and risk and assurance (second line) functions, ensuring the integrity of our results and the strength of our controls.
- This role is pivotal to the finance team keeping to key metrics captured in the corporate financial control and compliance framework which is a key tool to access controls and give stakeholders the assurance that the first line of defense is in check and functioning as intended.
- Success in this role will positively impact finance and country and otherwise will be detrimental the country’s control environment performance rating.
Cash Accounting/Banking & Treasury:
- To ensure all over the counter cash is banked in line with relevant policy and parked on SAP Cash Journals.
- To ensure appropriate procedures are adhered to when cash is received and to bank all cash and other instrument within 2 days of receipt or immediately threshold of cash holding is attained.
- Ensure all relevant Cash Journals are balanced within 48 hours of banking being completed.
- Ensure all delegated banking activities are diligently carried out.
Procurement & Payable:
- Ensure all invoices are checked within 24 hours of receipt and scanned within 48 hours; thus contributing to significant reduction of Open Purchase Orders and late payment to vendors.
- Ensure that scanned invoices are backed up on the Finance shared drive.
Vendor & Customer Creation:
- Ensure documents and files for newly created vendors are properly filed and alphabetically for easy referencing
- Update the Vendor and Customer Master Database with every new creation/amendment of vendor and customer respectively.
- Ensure that all FI journal documents are filed according to their numbers and the month of posting.
- Participate in the preparation for internal audit and tax audit exercises; ensuring that all relevant files and documents are in place for smooth running of these audits.
- Ensure that Trip envelopes are properly logged in the Trip Register, backed up on the G-Drive and properly filed in the assigned shelf.
- Timely provision of assistance and support to other colleagues to enable them manage their delegated finances and comply with British Council’s audit standards.
- All British Council Nigeria staff
- Shared Services Center
- Minimum of OND (upper credit) in any numerate course of study.
- Being in foundation level or undertaking ATS certification with a recognized accounting board.
- Fluency in written and spoken English – Shortlisted candidates will either demonstrate they have met the required standard through presentation of an agreed English language certificate, or will be required to take the APTIS test and demonstrate a B2 level of English proficiency.
Role Specific Knowledge & Experience:
- Minimum of one year experience spent in an accounting environment.
British Council Core Skills
Managing Finance And Resources (Level 1):
- Use resources efficiently in own role and complies with financial rules and procedures.
Using Technology (Level 1):
- Operates as a basic user of information systems, digital and office technology.
- Able to use office software and British Council systems to do the job and manage documents or processes
Analyzing data & problems (Level 1):
- Is systematic.
- Breaks down problems into a list of tasks to be done and decides on appropriate action.
Planning & Organizing (Level 1):
- Is methodical.
- Able to plan own work over short timescales for routine or familiar tasks and processes.
Communicating & Influencing (Level 1):
- Communicates clearly and effectively.
- Listens to others and expresses self clearly, with grammatical accuracy and awareness of a diverse audience in speaking and writing.
British Council Behaviors
- Working together (Essential): Establishing a genuinely common goal with others.
- Connecting with others (Essential): Making regular opportunities to understand others better.
- Being Accountable (Essential): Delivering my best work in order to meet my commitments
- Making it Happen (Essential): Delivering clear results for the British Council.
- Creating Shared Purpose (Essential). Communicating an engaging picture of how we can work together.
Method of Application
Interested Candidates should click here to apply through the official application portal